Jean Grey Then & Now- Let Your Geek Sideshow Podcast
Susan and Kitty are opening their minds to recount the history of Jean Grey across Marvel generations! In a constant cycle of death and rebirth, how does this omega-level mutant stand apart from other powerful telepaths? What makes her different, and why is the Phoenix Force drawn to her? Listen along to find out!
What happens when pop culture enthusiasts from different generations swap tales of their favorite modern and classic stories? Let Your Geek Sideshow presents… Then & Now– a pop culture podcast!
Press play above to listen along!
What makes you different?
No, really- we’re asking. Take a moment to consider what sets you apart from others. Unless you live in the Marvel Universe, that difference probably isn’t a genetic mutation that grants you powerful telepathy.
From humble beginnings as Marvel Girl in the original X-Men, Jean Grey has evolved over the years into a formidable force- Phoenix Force, that is. Her character was changed forever when introduced to the cosmic manifestation of all life and passion in the universe, becoming host to the fiery Phoenix. The Dark Phoenix Saga, and later cycles of constant death and rebirth have given her a unique role among the X-Men as a lover to some, a leader to others, and a legend to all.
In recent years, beginning with the All New X-Men, Jean Grey’s past, present, and future have all collided as she lives out the cyclical journey of the Phoenix- rising from the ashes after every defeat. Young Jean Grey got her own solo series in 2017, providing a much-needed grounding point to launch into X-Men: Red, which is considered by many to be one of the strongest depictions of the character- and her true power of empathy- to date.
One thing is for certain, Jean Grey is different- Phoenix Force or not- and with each passing cycle of her life she only continues to become stronger and a more developed, complex character.
If you are interested in following the cycle of Jean Grey’s life and death in Marvel Comics, check out these sources:
- The Dark Phoenix Saga- X-Men The Animated Series
- The Dark Phoenix Saga Trade Paperback (1980)- Marvel Comics
- All New X-Men (2012)- Marvel Comics
- Jean Grey (2017)- Marvel Comics
- X-Men: Red (2018)- Marvel Comics
- X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019)- 20th Century Fox
You can check out the full Then & Now podcast on iTunes, or subscribe to our Youtube channel. You can also find our channel hosted on Pippa at side.show/thennow. Keep an eye out for new episodes and more ways to listen coming soon. If you like the show, be sure to subscribe and leave a 5-star review so that other fans can find the podcast!
What other characters, films, or events would you like to see covered in upcoming episodes? Let Your Geek Sideshow and tell us in the comments!
We are proud to bring you pop culture content completely AD FREE, but that doesn’t mean we don’t need your support to help keep us going. If you enjoy the Geek Culture Countdown, please take a moment to leave us a 5-star review on your favorite podcasting platform and help spread the word about our podcast.
Be sure tune in for our other pop culture podcasts as well:
- Join comedian Jeff May and special guests as they talk geek news, nerd history, collecting, and whatever else comes up in Sideshow’s Side Show.
- Take a peek into geek culture and check out our Top 10 fandom favorites in the Geek Culture Countdown.
- Hear exclusive interviews with celebrities and pop culture industry leaders as they let their geek side show in Look Who Showed Up.
- Then, get all the latest pop culture news with our Daily Briefing, a two-minute breakdown of the biggest geek headlines perfect for your Alexa or Google news briefings.
We wouldn’t exist without your continued support. Thank you for listening, and don’t forget to Let Your Geek Sideshow!